What you didn't know about diamonds

This month we're celebrating diamonds; the chosen birthstone for April and the appropriate stone for a 60th or 75th wedding anniversary. Diamonds strong association with love, clarity and strength are solidified in time with many stories and facts about their unyielding powers. However, in the industry we grade diamonds by their colour, cut, clarity and carat, to determine the quality and price of the diamond - more information about this grading system can be found on our Diamond Guide.

Now, all of the things we’ve just mentioned are the diamond basics, but what we want to tell you are some of the things that you may not know about diamonds. These bullet point facts are based on science and superstition, material facts and mystery. We’ll also show you a few products available at your local T H Baker store and online, simply click on the images to discover more or head over to our Diamond Collection to see the plethora of products we have available.

- Diamonds are the only mineral on Earth that are made from one chemical compound. This chemical is carbon and it makes up 99.95% of a diamond, the other 0.05% are trace elements that can influence the colour and inclusions of the diamond.

9ct White Gold Diamond Flower Studs

- Diamonds are formed deep in the earth’s crust under extreme heat and pressure.

    - Eros, the ancient Greek God of love, was said to shoot arrows through the hearts of people so they would fall in love. The tips of the arrows were made of diamonds.

9ct White Rose Gold Diamond Open Heart Wave Ring

    - The word diamond derives from the Greek word ‘adamas’ which means ‘invincible’ –rather apt for the strongest mineral on Earth.

9ct White Gold Three Diamond Open Circle Stud Earrings

    - In the Middle Ages, diamonds were said to cure ailments of the pituitary gland and the brain. However, today diamonds are said to treat afflictions of the eyes, such as glaucoma, allergies and chronic conditions as well as rebalancing the metabolism.
    - Diamonds come in a wide variety of colours including clear white, yellow, blue, brown and pink.

9ct White Gold Rose Gold Diamond Swirl Pendant

    - Heating a diamond and placing it next to the bed while you sleep was said to draw toxins from the body.
    - Personal balance and clarity can be heightened when you combine diamonds with amethysts. In fact, when you combine any stone with a diamond the properties of the stone it is paired with are meant to strengthen.

9ct White Gold Diamond Blue Topaz Round Studs

    - Ancient theories suggest that diamonds were formed from bolts of lightning striking the earth.
    - The Hope Diamond is the world’s largest deep blue diamond and is said to carry a curse.
    - The Taylor-Burton Diamond is a 69.42 carat pear-shaped diamond and was given to siren of the silver screen, Elizabeth Taylor by Richard Burton.

18ct White Gold Art Deco Style Cluster Diamond Ring