January 5, 2017
Everything you need to know about Garnets
Do you have a birthday coming up this month?
Then you'll want to take a look at our collection of Garnet jewellery - perfect for those of you looking for a gift that's personal and unique.
Garnets are fantastic gemstones available in a wide spectrum of colours including browns, reds, deeply saturated purplish reds, pinkish oranges, oranges, greens and on rare occasions, blues. With such a vast range of colour available, it’s understandable why the jewellery industry chooses to use them in on-trend jewellery pieces.
Garnets are found all over the world, usually in metamorphic rocks (rocks that have been altered by pressure and heat). However green garnet, tsavorite (the rarer type), is found at more unusual rock chemistries and need special conditions to form.
Fast Facts - Did you know?
1. Garnet is the birthstone for January and is also the gem for the second wedding anniversary.
2. Garnets measure between 6.7 and 7.5 on Moh’s Scale, which means they are perfect for wearing every day and have a great resistance.
3. The term ‘Carbuncle’ comes from ancient times and was the term used to refer to red garnets (however this later became the word for all red stones). It was thought that a carbuncle was given to King Solomon by God.
4. Thousands of years ago, in Ancient Egypt, garnets were entombed with the pharaohs of Egypt as prized possessions.
5. In Ancient Rome, signet rings were carved from red garnets and used to stamp the wax that sealed important documents.
6. In the Middle Ages, red garnets were favoured by nobility and members of the clergy.
So, now you have the facts, why not take a look at our sparkling garnet jewellery? Each piece is set in high quality metals and secured using contemporary setting techniques. We also have many garnet pieces from some of your favourite brands including PANDORA, Nomination, Daisy London and Links of London.
If you’re looking for a gift and need it as soon as possible, we offer Free Next Day Delivery on orders over £75 or you can pay for next day for just £3.95.
All our branded products come with official brand packaging and the brand's standard manufacturers guarantee.
At T. H. Baker, we want to insure that you are 100% happy with your purchase, which is why we have a dedicated customer service team ready to answer all of you queries and put your mind at ease.